Rwanda Village Community Promoters (RVCP) is a non- profit, non-governmental, non-religious student run organization at the University of Rwanda (UR).
RVCP was founded in 2000 by a partnership between medical students of the National University of Rwanda, the International Federation of Medical Students’
Associations (IFMSA) and the community of Huye District. Following the 1994 genocide, in which more than 1,000,000 people were killed in three months, villages and towns as well as the unified, community spirit were destroyed, RVCP was initiated by students hoping to provide sustainable improvement in the health and living conditions for these underprivileged communities whose hope was almost completely gone. To date, we have supported over 25 target groups in the Southern Provence of Rwanda.
Working with students and local volunteers is a key part of the foundation upon which RVCP was built as it strives to increase awareness and develop students’ problem solving skills, aptitude for fieldwork and project planning abilities. Furthermore, RVCP fosters an atmosphere of cultural exchange and skill sharing by working alongside international volunteers.
Our organization forms part of a worldwide network of Village Concept Projects, established in 1998 by the International Federation of Medical Students Association (IFMSA) and the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva. We also work with partner organizations based all over the world including Britain, American, Germany, Sweden and Denmark.
RVCP focus on health to promote sustainable and responsible interventions at village level to encourage self-reliant, community-orientated and informed citizens.
The specific objectives of RVCP are:
- To improve the general sanitation of villagers.
- To reduce the prevalence of Malaria.
- To educate the community on the prevention of HIV/AIDS, STI’s and unwanted pregnancies.
- To raise awareness of family planning methods.
- To promote a human-rights based development approach.
- To empower citizens to effectively manage natural resources of their environment by establishing effective income generating activities.
- To educate national and international students on development aid projects.
Different programs in RVCP
- HIV/AIDS awareness and family planning program
- Girls and women empowerment program
- Income generation program
- Hygiene and water sanitation program
- Initiative program
- Maternal health program
- Different worldwide annual celebrations such as:
- International women’s day
- World oral day
- World water day
- Mothers’ day
- Candle light day
- Menstrual hygiene day
- World Environment day
- World mental health day
- World handwashing day
- World saving day
- World toilet day
- World AIDS day
- World Malaria day
- Pediatrics Christmas event
- Public health campaigns
- Leadership trainings
- Student exchange program
- Capacity building workshops
- Different projects for underprivileged communities such as:
- Bee keeping project-Income generation program
- RVCP house for rent in Huye district-southern province
- SMAP and Byishimo project-HIV/AIDS awareness and family planning program
- Mushroom Growing Project- Income generation program
- Youth saving culture project
- Kwizera project-Initiative program
- 12 HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention clubs in Huye district-southern province
- HIV/AIDS Raising Awareness Project(HRAP)- HIV/AIDS awareness and family planning program
- SUD Project-School Uniform Distribution project
- Latrine construction project-Hygiene and water sanitation program.